Caleb and I just finished helping with the Men’s Retreat for our home church – Calvary Baptist – this weekend. The theme was basically what this blog is all about – relationships, and particularly mentoring/discipling the next generation. It was a refreshing and inspiring time. Believe it or not, the conference was entirely run by millennials – and it went great! If more churches would trust millennials with responsibilities like this, I believe they would not be disappointed.
For our post this week, we thought it’d be good to just include a few quotable highlights from the weekend. The three speakers were Dr. Sam Horn, Pastor Ben Ice, and Scott Taylor. All three sessions were excellent, and the panel on inter-generational relationships was equally impactful. Here are a few tweet-able nuggets:
- “Discipleship is about glorifying God – causing other people to come to right conclusions about who God is and what He’s like.” -Sam Horn
- “Be one. Make many.” -Sam Horn, referring to disciples
- “Depend on one. Serve many. Mentor a few.” -Ben Ice
- “Mentoring starts with an invitation, continues on with sacrificial investment, and activates intentional influence.” -Ben Ice
- “Mentors pray together, speak words of grace, and challenge their thinking with Truth.” -Ben Ice
- “Mentoring is not a program to implement but a life to imitate” -Randy Pope, as quoted by Ben Ice
- “Mentoring is one intentionally and vulnerably sharing his life with another.” -Ben Ice
- “I’m not doing anything alone. If I’m going to Home Depot, I’m taking a teen with me.” -Scott Taylor, referring to Calvary’s former Youth Pastor Tom Craig’s philosophy of discipleship
- “Pick your spots. Not every moment is a teaching moment. Sometimes, you just listen.” -Scott Taylor
- “I don’t know what he taught me, but I love Jesus more because of him.” -Scott Taylor, referring to a friend’s quote about Tom Craig
- “Home is not the place to relax.” -Scott Taylor
We hope to have the audio posted soon!